Barbecue recipes: Lemony butterflied chicken with baby potatoes
By Jenny White
Last updated at 10:30 PM on 21st May 2010
A brilliant example of how a marinade can transform a dish from the ordinary to the exceptional.
Barbecue gourmet: Lemony butterflied chicken with baby potatoes
- 4tbsp olive oil
- Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves only, chopped
- 4 skinless chicken breast fillets
- 500g (1lb 2oz) baby new potatoes
- 2tsp fennel seeds, roughly crushed
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a shallow dish, whisk together 3tbsp of the oil, the lemon rind and juice, garlic, two thirds of the rosemary, and some salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Lay one of the chicken breasts on a clean chopping board and cut it horizontally, but not quite all the way through. Open it out like a book and press flat. Repeat this process with the remaining chicken breasts.
Add the chicken pieces to the lemony marinade and turn them to coat fully in the mixture. Cover the dish and chill for at least 2 hours, or overnight if you can.
Toss the potatoes in the remaining oil and arrange in a single layer in a roasting tin.
Scatter over the rest of the rosemary and the fennel seeds. Season with salt and pepper, and place on the barbecue for 20 minutes, or until tender. if you're cooking indoors, roast in the oven at 190/ gas 5 for 30 minutes.
Remove the chicken from the marinade and place on the grill or barbecue. Cook for 2-3 minutes each side, or until cooked through. Serve with the potatoes.
Share this article:
- 8 Healthy Grilling Recipes : Fire Up the Grill
- Anyone have some good recipes for home-made Barbecue sauce, or marinade for steak, chicken, fish, etc?
- Cooking The Perfect Chicken
- Chicken Tikka Biryani Barbeque Chicken Rice
- Mike Golic's Barbecue Blitz Chicken Wraps
Filed under: Articles
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!